When the news broke last year that Atlassian were putting an end to their vestigial Server licenses for Jira, Confluence, and everything else, few were surprised. If you played a drinking game every time cloud gets mentioned at Atlassian events or in shareholder reports, you’d need medical attention.
Three options for Jira Server users
Atlassian are offering three options to those currently on Jira Server:
- A one-year free cloud migration trial for up to 10,000 users.
- A 20-55% discount to move to Jira Cloud (for 1001 users+) or a 15%-40% discount to move to Jira Data Center. The sooner you move, the higher the discount, so go for a 24-month deal before June/July 1st 2021 (for Cloud/DC respectively) to lock in the highest discounted price for the longest time.
- Stay on Jira Server, knowing that support will end for it by February 2024. Prices will go up for 1-25 users. However, for most people who didn’t cut a special Advantaged Plan price deal with Atlassian when it was available, there will be very little change. Still, you may notice the lights slowly turning off, as fewer and fewer add-ons are supported on a dying platform.
Practical considerations for migrating
In light of this, many Jira Server customers are planning to migrate to Cloud or Data Center. If you’re still in the planning stages of your migration, here are some practical considerations that might help.
- Are all your apps/add-ons supported on Cloud and Data Center? It’s simple enough to check whether your most important apps have a hosting option for Cloud and Data Center. If you’re not sure what your most important apps are, simply turn them off, and see how many people complain. Be aware that apps may have a different marketplace listing for each platform. This can be a sign that it’s a different app, and migration may be a pain.
- Migrating from Jira Server to Jira Data Center is almost no work at all. It’s practically the same platform. However, the apps will have gone through rigorous testing to prove they’re reliable and stable at scale. You may lose some of your older, less well-supported add-ons during the migration, but moving house should always be an opportunity for a spring clean!
- Atlassian are continuously updating this handy guide on which vendors have made migration paths from Server to Cloud. The best apps have worked hard to make sure nothing is lost in the move. Our Custom Charts for Confluence app has a documented migration path.
- If in doubt, contact the vendors directly, or your Atlassian Partner, and ask how complicated your migration might be. Also ask whether any data or work will be lost during the migration.